Tuesday, November 10, 2009



Here is a photo by Helena from yesterday. I am the little pink nudie speck trying to conquer a floating tree. I felt like a weird sea creature climbing the huge branches naked in the wind. It's November, and the water was less than 10C! My body went numb, but I bet it secretly loved it.

Afterward we stopped by April's for a super quick glass of wine before the ferry. April is the best. She has a beautiful house on Ward's with her daughter Alex and a tiny adult cat. She invited me to sleep over there sometimes and I think I will.

I have a question for you, please answer not by definition but objectively:

DO RITUALS NEED TO BE REPEATED IN ORDER TO BE CALLED A 'RITUAL' ? CAN YOU PERFORM A RITUAL ONLY ONCE?


3 comments:

Xenia said...

a ritual can be repeated in different forms for example one can argue that the ritual performed before going to sleep may vary but it is still a ritual going towards a common conclusion. In that way, maybe you can redefine a ritual through its meaning rather than its doing..

jjj jjjJj said...

definitely. the discussion raises questions of meaning, intent, "situations," and therefore of repetition itself. ritual suicide.

Alexandra said...

I think ritual does connote repetition in some contexts, but I absolutely think you can perform a ritual only once. I think there is only marginal difference between ceremony and ritual, but ceremony is just more often used for singular event?