Tuesday, December 15, 2009

So I haven't been updating lately because I went back to the darkroom to print stuff for my thesis show and boy is it stressful. I only have 2 months to go and I haven't printed in at least 6 months so I am slooow. Don't worry I can do it!

Yesterday was the final day for printing and I stayed there alone, all day. It was nice, I listened to mixtapes and chain-drank coffees.

Here is a juvenile lesson on colour darkrooms for those of you who have never been to one!


Here's where you put up your prints once they are done. The lights are daylight balanced so you can judge whether your print is colour corrected or not. These lights are a big magenta but you can always use real daylight to check your print if it's available.


Colour darkrooms are different than b&w because they are completely dark. There are no red safe lights and when you walk inside you have to announce yourself so no one gets harmed.


This is what the inside looks like, with the lights on.


In each room there is a private darkroom kind of like this one, this is a room for small size printing.


Last night I was there on my own so I had two rooms, the little one and this guy where you can print bigger photographs.


Making a test for a 30"x40" print


I used the little darkroom to print contacts, to see what's on my negatives


When you're done exposing you feed your paper (in the dark) into this processor


That's what it looks like on the other side!


after 6 minutes, your print slowly rolls out


then you put it on the wall to examine it


When you print colour photos you first have to calibrate your enlarger to the type of paper and film that you are using. Sometimes it's super annoying and takes a long time, especially if you're trying to match print to print.

It works this way: each enlarger has three filters that you can change the intensity of: magenta, cyan and yellow. So if your print is too blue you need to make it more yellow, if it's too green, you have to make it more magenta, etc... it actually gets a bit more complicated than that but I'm not gonna get into it.



Every time you make a print you should make notes on the back of it, how much magenta and yellow you used, how long the exposure, etc.. if you change your mind and need to retrace your steps these notes will help you!


This is how you figure out what needs to change in your print, with these guys


For example, if it looks like your print is too magenta


- you use this green filter to figure out how much magenta needs to be taken away in order to balance it. Each level of green is about 5 points less magenta.


Because making each little change takes at least 6 minutes you should probably bring something to read while you're waiting, printing usually takes hours.

TADA! ok I'm going to the library now.

I want to post like 339854 updates but I'm too overwhelmed!

6 comments:

Xenia said...

!!!!!!!!!

benivulka said...

!!!
the truth is, some days it's dark and scary in there !

kerry said...

Can I just say that I really hated Michel Houellebecq after I read that book? Ok, I said it.

benivulka said...

I think I understand why. While I was reading the book, I stupidly decided to watch some interviews with him on youtube. He seems like a very difficult, bitter and cruel person. You can't always get away with that just because you're excellent at something like writing.

Anyway, this changed everything. I really love parts of the book, they are so honest and awful but sometimes the negativity is just unbearable, it gets tired fast.

marla said...

wow i never did ANY of that correction stuff, i just guessed it on instinct... hmmm.

magda o said...

I have never read a book that aroused me so much as 'Platform' did... there was so many scenes that were totally not for subway reading but i couldn't stop. i'd walk out being totally horny and turned on in public. !!

the scene with the shared blowjobs.... wow.

I've tried to read his other stuff and it didn't do it for me though....