Monday, January 25, 2010




yo, I'm having the best day ever! So happy! Slowly and methodically I'm getting things done. If you decide to enjoy your chores life gets easier.

First of all, I'd like to say that ironically enough, 10 hours after my last entry ("best thing about not drinking") I went and got trashed and stayed up dancing until 7 in the morning. This taught me a lesson, I can't work without breaks, my body needs time off. I spent all of yesterday in a state of forced relaxation in the kitchen with my roommates, ate a whole bunch of bananas, et voila! no more hangover.

The White Ribbon is finally in theatres here and I'm dying to see it. I think Matt and I have made a pact to see it together. Is that right? I'm pretty sure. Michael Haneke is so good, I have high expectations. I bet that man poos gems and philosophy books. In any case, I also realized today that all my favourite movies were almost exclusively made by men because somehow I'm not familiar with any female directors. This makes me very sad.

Can you recommend an awesome female director? No Sophia Coppolas please.

I have so much to write but maybe I should save the energy for more work. See you later, Montreal is rainy and warm. Like spring!



7 comments:

inne said...

Catherine Breillat is my favourite. Claire Denis.

gggggggggg said...

chantal ackerman, deepa mehta, catherine breillat, margaret von trotta, agnes varda

those are the only ones i can think of. i don't know any american hollywood-type women directors!

you said...

there are way fewer women directors than men directors and even fewer that are critically acclaimed enough for you to have heard about them.

recently i watched Jane Campions An Angel At My Table and it was really really good.

Kathryn Bigelow who recently made The Hurt Lockser is potentially up for consideration and could win Best Director at the Oscars (a first for a woman to do so)

Victoria Jean Cheong said...

Lynne Ramsay is the best but you've probably seen her movies. She only has two. plus shorts. They are amazing!! There's another woman I just thought of named Vanessa Renwick. She makes amazing work but not features though...

magda o said...

As was said before:

chantal ackerman <--- i live by everything she does , deepa mehta <-- i love how emotional her films are in this different way and how she's willing to risk it all, all the time, catherine breillat <-- drives me insane but i can't stop watching her films, agnes varda <-- not to into her

& miranda july! ha! It's funny you have this totally opposite view about her than I do. It seems she is a polarizing figure. I wrote an extensive paper about her work and made me fall in love with her even more.

I mostly watch women director films, or try to.


I also really really love Bigelow even though she can get pretty cheesy...

Sara in America said...

yes yes yes to both catherine breillat and jane campion. i love "an angel at my table." brilliant.

benivulka said...

thank you everyone! i'm going to watch all of them as soon as i'm done in 3 weeks. xxo