Monday, May 2, 2011

Everything will always look and feel similar, admit it, accept it, don't fight it.

Clare Samuel, 2008. Why was my face so skeletal?! Why didn't anyone tell me?!?

Meera Margaret Singh, Harbinger, 2007-2010

Meera Margaret Singh, Harbinger, 2007-2010

Clare Samuel, It Is Still, 2008

Jusepe de Ribera

Jusepe de Ribera

Kazuo Ohno
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate to admit it but I don't think any of us can afford to feel possessive of ideas anymore. It's unproductive and makes us waste too much time on unnecessary anger and jealousy. I used to get so riled up over "intellectual theft" which sometimes could be as simple as coincidental (or not!!) aesthetic/conceptual similarities within a small group of people. The truth is, when I see someone using my ideas in a different context I get worried that they will do a better job at it than I ever can. That my ideas will become theirs. And vice versa - everyone's constantly tiptoeing around each other's work, like we're all so brilliant and original, as if! "Authenticity" is sort of a joke. We're bound to steal from others if we work in close proximity to each other. I've done it, most everyone I know has done it. There is one catch though: you should at least try to make it "your own" and be able to back it up. Otherwise you're just a thief. Which is OK, if that's what you're into.

I'm going to completely ignore the news, listen to some Tchaikovsky, run up the mountain and back, paint.

Please stop telling me to vote today, voting only feels right if you have someone to vote for. Also, I find millions of people cheering about one person's death like it's some sort of a milestone awful and disturbing. That being said, you should check out Sohaib Athar's twitter (link). So far it's the only report that I feel is significant. To imagine a situation like that - and how ubiquitous it is -you hear commotion in the middle of the night and pass it off as probably nothing serious while in reality it is a terrible and sneaky violence and it's occurring right next door: that really scares me. FYI: the other night in my dream Osama wrote me a love poem and now he's dead. I should have transcribed it and sold it on ebay.



4 comments:

Xenia said...

I don't see people getting upset much when someone steals their ideas... but I do see the idea-thiefs getting super riled up when someone tells them its obvious, even when there's no animosity whatsoever. In my opinion, if you're gonna steal, do it with pride, and don't be surprised if others notice. You know?

benivulka said...

yeah for sure! that's what i mean - there has to be some dialogue or at least an attempt to stand your ground without becoming too emotional about it. i used to get very upset if i sensed that someone stole from me. but i really don't care anymore.

CD said...

Best post

Anonymous said...

you're so lovely, yuula. xo meera