Thursday, April 26, 2012

My favourite phallic objects left to right: pig's tooth, sea urchin, Uzi bullet, Galil bullet. The last two are live bullets stolen from the IDF that I somehow crossed the border with. A Galil is a Kalashnikov-type rifle. The pig's tooth comes from an oven roasted pig's head we consumed at a garden dinner party and the sea urchin was a present from my friend Nikki.

GOALS
Sooooooo apparently the reason why I have in my possession notebooks filled with ideas that never left the page is because when you talk endlessly about your goals and get feedback from others your mind is being tricked into thinking that you've actually made progress even though you haven't even started. It's called "substitution". Wera Mahler said that when it's acknowledged by others it feels real in the mind. I remember on so many occasions saying - I think about it all the time and it feels like I've already made it so there is no satisfaction in actually producing it. I have to learn to shut up.

Rainy day.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

The book that introduced me to one of my favourite authors (Jean-Phillipe Toussaint) is called Television and it is obliquely centred around the idea of substitution. The protagonist is doing two things -- he is writing a book and he is no longer watching television -- but ultimately all he does is talk about writing and not watching television, all the while not writing and still watching TV. (Ultimately, I like Toussaint's later work and I suspect you would, too, and I should lend you something by him.)

Alicia said...

(I commented on the wrong post, but I'm sure you figured that out)

Anonymous said...

i totally relate to this. i feel the same. when i have ideas i have to not talk about them to people because i feel like the excitement and motivation drifts away and the drive to produce the idea diminishes...